A boy drinking his own water in a branch supply at a West Melbourne branch was left without his drinking water after he was “swallowed” by the water.

The incident happened on Monday night when a customer, who was also in the car, asked the staff to fill up a bucket of water for him.

“He had his hand in the bucket, but was taken out of the bucket,” a witness said.

At first, the customer was taken to hospital but later released and returned to his car.

A customer’s account on the branch’s website said: “We are aware that a boy was swamped by the local branch water this evening.

We were notified by the customer and we are taking the matter seriously.”

On Wednesday, the store’s social media pages posted a statement about the incident and a photo of the boy, who is now in a “serious but stable condition”.

“We are in the process of investigating the incident.

Our thoughts are with the customer,” it said.

“We would like to reassure everyone that the staff have been instructed to fill the bucket with water.”