A 31-year-old man has died after drinking a lime water heater in Brisbane.

Police say the man was sitting in the backyard of his home in the town of Newbury when he began to experience dizziness and nausea.

The man was taken to hospital but died a short time later.

Police are now appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident to come forward.

Detective Inspector David McLean said police received reports that the man had a cold and a headache when he sat in the water.

He said the man may have been drinking water from a hose that had been plugged into a pipe in his backyard.

“At this stage of the investigation, we have no reason to believe that this was a medical issue or anything of that nature,” he said.

Detective Superintendent Paul Gee said the incident had prompted a review of all the safety measures in place.

“There was a small amount of water that came out of the heater and was leaking into the ground,” he told ABC Brisbane.

“It was just not appropriate.”

The man’s name has not been released.